Thursday, July 29, 2010

A bridge too far

This morning, tired of the constant rocking at the "Cable Wharf" dock I decided to set out for St. John's. The result was good news and bad news. The forecast was for 20 to 25 out of the Southwest with showers and possible thunderstorms. I figured, what the heck, I can handle that.

As a proceeded out of Halifax Harbor with 20 to 30 on the nose and 2 to 4 foot swells the first rain shower hit. I was already nattily attired in my best Gloucester Fisherman outfit - West Marine (remember to buy from Trevor at the Highland Park, IL store - this message brought to you by a proud father) bright yellow foulies so the rain was more of a bother than a serious problem. But after about 3/4 of a hour banging along with several miles left to go to the sea buoy I decided to pack it in.

The good news: Reboot handled the weather, wind and waves like the great lady she is.

The bad news: The Captain was chicken. Well, not really. It is just that after five days of rolling back and forth and a day of the Cats 101 shoot my tolerance for discomfort was at a low. (Yes, this is a lame justification for going into the Northwest channel. More of that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Underway

Underway to Beltung. 548 nm. 5 to 6 days or more dependent upon wind. 1 POB + 1 Cat Fair winds and following seas :)