Saturday, October 13, 2012

Impeller

The good and the bad
I thought my engine problems were solved when I unwrapped a big hunk of rope from the prop shaft.

Today we started the engine and it was pretty clear that there was not water. So we started at the inlet, found it was clogged even though the filter was clear, and tried again. No joy.

The next step was to open the salt water pump. Sure enough, the impeller had decided to self destruct. Normally Yanmar engines are pretty easy on impellers but this obviously was not the case. Fortunately I have spares on board so it was just a  hour or so to swap out the old for a new. We now have water coming out the exhaust and the engine is not overheating. So hopefully we have found all the problems.

Rob changing the impeller
Fair winds and following seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

On this Thanksgiving  (which here was yesterday) let me share some of my faith with you. Not the Judeo-Christian kind, but faith in my fel...