Monday, February 7, 2011


The Ferry Terminal in Cancun
The Ferry

Sailboat off the Hotel District
I had planned to go to Cancun today to the Port Authority and get my final Mexican clearance document.  However, the office were closed today for a holiday so I need to go back tomorrow.

Since I had already planned to go Jim and I decided that we would take the day and ferry over to see Cancun.  We arrived after a very pleasant 25 minute ride at the Ferry Terminal with absolutely no idea where to go.  Eventually we hired a cab that took us to Cancun City.  We wandered around for a while not really enjoying it and eventually ended up at Wal-Mart.  Yes, I know, don't remind me.  It actually worked out as we both needed to do some simple shopping.  Downtown Cancun is a big tourist shopping area - something that leaves me cold.  We then got on a bus and headed for the hotel district.  After a bit Jim got impatient and said lets get off and get a drink.  We walked across the street to the nearest hotel only to be told that it was an "adult paradise" and unless we were staying at the hotel we could not go in.  Fortunately we got directions and hopped back on the bus.  We stopped about 2/3 of the way down the hotel district and grabbed a drink and a bite to eat.  We then went and explored the large local and very high end shopping mall.  After a bit we then hopped in a cab and went to the Intercontinental Hotel.  We were told it was close to the alternative ferry dock back to Isla.  We had a couple of drinks on the beach. We also noticed the sailboat that had anchored out just off the hotel.  We talked about sailing over but decided that we really didn't need to anchor out so that we could pay hotel prices for our drinks.
The club scene doesn't really get going until 11 PM.  Not only were we unwilling to kill that much time we could not figure out what two old guys would do in a nightclub so we hopped back on the bus that was supposed to take us to the ferry dock.  Well it didn't, and after an interesting conversation with fully armed Mexican soldiers who told us they didn't speak English we grabbed another cab and were delivered back to the dock.
It started to rain lightly during the crossing and the walk home and then really picked up for the rest of the evening.  I am planning on going back to Cancun tomorrow and Jim is leaving for points South.  I expect that my paperwork trip will go late enough in the day that it will be Wednesday morning before I head South.l

No comments:

Post a Comment