Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thomas Paine, in Cascais, Portugal

December 23, 1776 - Thomas Payne:

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; ...

Of course Thomas Paine was not talking about crossing an ocean (the Atlantic.) But the thoughts really resonate. It has been about 5 weeks since I waved goodbye to Ed and Claudia (Door into Summer) and headed for Ireland. I have now joined that fraternity of those who have crossed an ocean on a sailboat. In fact, I have joined that more exclusive fraternity that have done it alone. In the vernacular, "good on me." But at great emotional cost. I hit the wall the day before yesterday. I was ready to pack it all in, dump Reboot, and rent the apartment next to Spencer's in Madison (so I could bootleg of his Internet and have him over for dinner on a regular basis.) Trevor - the state income tax laws are easier on me in Wisconsin - don't take it personally; Spencer - is this your idea of hell or what? Sitting in the sunshine in Caicais, Portugal (near Lisbon) in the sunshine drinking my third beer it seems like a dream.

I left the Azores with the intention of heading for Ireland.  I realized that something was wrong as I left Horta,  Faial, Azores. I could not get much power out of the engine. I wrote it off to strong winds and currents as I clawed my way out of the Azores.  Little did I know.  I motored North to pick up the non-existent westerly winds.  Concerned about running out of fuel I turned east waiting out the Azores high so I could turn North.  It never happened.  I spent several days in very light winds heading East.  The ride was nice, I was bored out of my mind as I had not found anything to read in Horta.  Heading North, then East, then North, then East I realized that I could have made port again at the east end of the Azores cutting the distance to Portugal by that amount.  Bill (KI4MMZ) and Fred (W3ZU) told me that there was a wind field to my east, I decided to motor a bit .  I did find the wind field and progressively reefed until I got about 25 miles from the Portuguese coast.

I started the engine as I was once again "0 points free" to head into Caicais.  I was not getting much power and with beam seas rocking a great deal.  All of a sudden the engine died, then caught again in a particularly strong roll.  Of course at the time I was dancing with a tanker that was also trying to get into Caicais.  Well, it caught and I continued at about 2 Kts into port.  The further I got the more frequently the engine would die and then catch.  I arrived outside the marina entrance and decided that in 30 knot winds I did not want to risk having the engine die in the channel.  So I limped across the anchorage and dropped the hook.  Bill had warned me that the winds would be strong and possibly get stronger.  I could not get far enough into the anchorage to really get any shelter without running the risk of loosing power and running into another anchored boat.  So I dropped the hook and sat out the winds very conscious that I had dragged just two months ago and destroyed my rudder.  I just sat there while the wind whistled around me and the halyards banged against the mast.  No matter what I tried to do I could not get control of the halyards.  I desperately wanted to get to shore, but the winds were too strong to launch the dinghy.  So I just sat there feeling very sorry for myself as XO continued to cuddle and demand attention.  Of course the breakwater for the marina was 400 yards to my stern, if I dragged I had visions of Reboot on the marina breakwall.  I took out my secondary anchor and deployed it ready to throw overboard if I started to drag. (This is something I should have done in Garrison Bight. Live and learn.)  Anyway I did not drag and as night fell the winds moderated overnight.  I realized that my loss of power was due to one of three problems - something wrapped around the prop, the transmission had seized, or my fuel filters were clogged.  I checked the transmission and it needed oil.  Then the dip stick fitting broke. But I filled it with oil - at least most of the way.  This morning with lighter winds I changed out the fuel filters and called the marina for a tow.  They hooked up and we powered in, apparently the fuel filter change made the difference.  After checking in they made sure I got to a dock safely. So my mood is somewhat rejuvenated. I am now on my third beer and feeling better.  I also left Horta without smokes - not a great way to quit. They are quite a crutch when I am feeling down.

So here I am, somewhat better.  Will file the official voyage statistics later today.  I realized while sitting at anchor waiting for something to go wrong that I have been crossing the Atlantic for 5 weeks.  I am glad it is over (it only took Columbus 22 days to reach the new world.)

Fair winds and following seas.

American Exceptionalism

Peter Schramm, liked to tell the story of his family's escape from Hungary in the aftermath of its failed revolution against Russian Com...