It looks like the wind generator project will get finished today. That means that if I pick up my new bow light this afternoon I am ready to go. That would be nice. But...
It would be nice if the weather would cooperate. In order to get out of here I have to cross the Gulf Stream. That means, no wind with the letter "N" in the description. Or at the very least a very low wind speed - say 10 knots or less.
This is what I get:
GALE FORCE WINDS POSSIBLE SUN
TODAY (as in Friday)
NE WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FT.
E TO NE WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING E 5 TO 15 KT
LATE. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT.
E TO NE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E TO SE 5 TO 10 KT
LATE. SEAS 5 TO 6 FT.
S TO SE WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING W TO SW
LATE. SEAS 5 TO 6 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS.
(If one doesn't mind the Thunderstorms not a bad time to try and cross over. Waves a little high but very doable. Unfortunately 12 hours doesn't get me across the Stream and out of the area.)
N WINDS 20 TO 30 KT...INCREASING TO 35 TO 45 KT LATE.
SEAS 5 TO 8 FT...BUILDING TO 13 TO 20 FT LATE.
NE WINDS 35 TO 45 KT. SEAS 15 TO 25 FT.
NE WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...BECOMING E 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS
17 TO 24 FT.
And on it goes. No, I can't get out and across the Gulf Stream and past the forecast area by Saturday night. Looks like I will be spending more time in Oriental.
Fair winds and following seas :)
I was invited by Nick to help him move his Swan 46 from Key West to Galveston TX a distance across the Gulf of Mexico of about 7500 nau...
There has always been a great interest in knowing how much to budget for the cruising life. The answer is always "it depends." I t...
Even after many years of cruising I am still learning the ropes. I have previously mentioed "find-a-crew. It has not been as productive...