When we last reported in we had just completed a miserable passage of the Gulf Stream. As we gathered ourselves together we found that the bilge pump had cycled 103 times getting rid of all of the boarding waves. As a consequnce our battery power was at a minimum. Shutting down everything eletrical on Reboot we waited for the batteries to recharge from the solar panels. With several consective days over overcast this was a long slow process.
Finally we got a couple of days of sunshine and were able to start to use some of the equipment (for example this computer and the radio.)
We have had a mixed bag of weather. Winds up to 30 knots gusting 35, waves up to 15 feet. Then we get a couple of days of nice sailing weather. We are now about 350 miles from Virgin Gorda BVI. We have traded off maximum speed for comfort. As a result all three of use have had a couple of sessions of deep REM sleep. Good news for the crew. We are making about 100 NM per day, so we still have a bit to go.
Fair winds and following seas :)
I was invited by Nick to help him move his Swan 46 from Key West to Galveston TX a distance across the Gulf of Mexico of about 7500 nau...
There has always been a great interest in knowing how much to budget for the cruising life. The answer is always "it depends." I t...
Even after many years of cruising I am still learning the ropes. I have previously mentioed "find-a-crew. It has not been as productive...