Friday, September 28, 2012

Clutch Repair

Sailboats seem to have an endless ability to have things break. This the one of the line clutches. While working on the dodger I had to unthread all of the lines that are lead through the dodger and into the cockpit. When I went to rethread them one of them (of course the one for the jib halyard) refused to work Upon further investigation I discovered that a spring had jumped out of its position. I was able to unscrew the clutch. Since it hasn't been unscrewed since the boat was built I was surprised that it actually came off rather easily. Then a complete disassemble, poked a couple of holes in my finger trying to move the spring wire, and pop - it all came back together and worked.

The clutch that jammed was of course on the side that does not have a spare clutch. In a way this was good, it made me fix it. Otherwise my normal procrastination might have kicked in and it will still be jammed.

Fair winds and following seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment