Noon (UTC) Position
N 19 02.196
W 035 08.049
C 240T S 6.5
1549 NM to Go
It has been an eventful 24 hours. We have had:
Squalls with winds to 35 knots,
Catastrophic failure of our wheel steering (and the vane steering that depends on it,)
Failure of the shackle that holds the main sheet to the traveler,
A poetry reading
(But not in that order...)
We lost the wheel steering to a pressed in part in the Edson steering that failed. We took it apart this morning and determined that we could not repair it at sea. This leaves us with two of our four redundant and separate steering systems: the Autohelm autopilot and the emergency tiller. So we continue on our merry way!
The icing on the cake was when the main sheet came free from the traveler. This was a simple fix. It required finding a new shackle and replacing the broken one. Fortunately we had a spare that worked on board.
The crew is well and accepting that some things break and we have sufficient backup systems to continue. It is been continuously overcast and we are all hoping for a decent couple of days of sunshine.
Fair winds and following seas.
Thursday, November 29, 2012
I was invited by Nick to help him move his Swan 46 from Key West to Galveston TX a distance across the Gulf of Mexico of about 7500 nau...
Recently a female poster in one of the forums I read asked question about purchasing that first boat and living aboard. I decided to copy my...
Part 1 is here: http://blog.sailboatreboot.com/2014/10/living-aboard-and-buying-boat.html Part 3 is here: http://blog.sailboatreboot.com/...